PAST IS IN THE PAST

When a patient comes to a doctor, the first thing is to ask these 1000 questions, which may or may not help in the diagnosis. Some of them may be personal. And sometimes the patients reveals this shocking stories, that rather being a scientist, you become a therapist. Today I visited a patient in her home who needed an emergency consult, but found out she had nothing but Somatization disorder. Her mom died when she was 5 months old. She was raised by her grandmother, got married at 12 years old. Her husband remained abroad for almost 30 years & visited may be once every 5 years. On top of that her mother-in-law used to torture her by starving her & made her do hard laborious field & house hold work. These may seem unusual but almost 70 percent of rural women in my country are living under this same scenario. Most women are traumatized in their home by the people who are supposed to protect them. Being a woman is still a curse in this part of the world. Most fathers still don't want to look at their newborns because they are girls. All the other members look a little disappointed when they find out it's going to be a girl again!

While in those other parts of the globe, PINK is the color to be praised. A little girl seems to bring so much joy! Most of the moms & dads just want a healthy baby. Why is it like this? I mean does it feel any different when you hold a baby boy in your arms after he comes out of the womb? I quess I can't answer that because I got to hold a girl!

One of my close friends once told me that her husband told her the guys who have weak genes or sperms produce girls. It would have vanished from my mind if he wasn't a doctor himself. Don't know about you guys but I am with those kinds who can't leave the past in the past. So little lady don't you be like mommy, dragging things all over the place. Just leave the past in the past!
27/ 365 TANGLED BY MAA




CONVERSATION

2 comments:

Back
to top